After my seminar last March 2007 it was a three days seminar on fault calculation
at Cebu Philippines. I become aware with my work when making Design and Estimate, it
is also an eye opener for all Electrical Engineer especially to the newly engineers,
this what happen.
Contrary to the practice of many local engineers, Fault Calculation must precede any effort to procure system protection devices. This activity is supposed to be one major part of the design process, but is oftentimes skipped or omitted.
Several provisions of the National Electrical Code, the Philippines Electrical Code
& IEEE publications ralate to proper system protection. Safe and reliable operation
of the industrial plant based on these provision mandate that electrical system must
be protected adequately & effectively.
While over-current protection devices are provided for overloaded protection for system components such as switchgears, busses, wires & cables, motor controllers, etc. it is also necessary to place protection for more damaging events such as faults. To obtain a reliable operation and to assure that system components are protected from damage during abnormal events, it is necessary to firts calculate the fault duties at various points in the electrical system while still on the drawing boards and adequate protective devices must subsequently be in place to anticipate these faults.
For all possile conditions, it is the responsibility of the system designer to design
electric power systems with adequate control of short circuits as one major consideration. It is also the plant engineer's responsibility to see to it that the protective devices are armed to predetermined settings either by himself or by consultants. As can be recalled, uncontrolled short circuits can cause service outages with accompanying production downtime and associated inconvenience, interruption of essential facilities, extensive equipment damage, personnel injury or fatality and a possible full-blown fire.
Again as the system designer is responsible for the selection of the right equipment, and would generally have the task of calculating system short circuits, procedures and techniques for these calculations are not generally available in on reference dissertation but are scattered among many publication and technical papers.
Fault calculations result to at least three very significant outputs which will
become the bases of the following:
1. First : proper selection of protective equipment ratings as circuit breakers or fuses that suit to system requirements :
2. Second : realistic arming up of protective relays to trigger operation of circuit breakers once faults do occur :
3. Thirdly : Proper coordination of operation of these protective devices to effect selective interruptions of the only required breakers to trip faulted circuits without the hassle of rendering the other portions of the system powerless.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
- Chapter 6:Reference Index
- Importance of Bogshoe in primary line
- Comparison of alternating current and direct curre...
- Adding transformer banking requirements
- Free download electrical engineering
- Career path of an electrical engineer
- Electrical inventors
- What is a fiber optic ?
- Steps to make design and estimate on overhead tran...
- free download electrical engineering part two
- what is load transfer ?
- KELMAN - Transport X Portable Dissolve Gas Analyze...
- Electrical and Electronic theory, laws, principles...
- pad mounted transformer
- free electrical magazine
- the sources of electrical energy
- the fundamentral of electrostatics
- all about magnetic
- 90 percent of Mindanao grid experienced black out
- electromagnetic induction
- what is alternating current(AC) system
- What is Automatic Voltage Regulator in transmissio...
- The main function of substation
- All about transmission and distribution lines
- Flying kite near power line
- power factor correction
- Electrical Per-unit Calculation
- The need for fault calculation in design
- Electric Motor
- Electrical Formulas
- Electrical and Electronics Free Download
- Multi conversions
- Free download Electrical and Electronics
- Free e-book
- Rapid share Electrical and Electronics
- How Hydropower Works ?
- How Nuclear Power Plant Works ?
- free IEEE magazine
- free electronics and electrical magazines
- How Wind Energy Works ?
- How Solar Energy Works ?
- Free e-book for Electrical and Electronics
- How Tidal Energy Works|?
- How Biomass, Biofuel Works|?
- What is Electrochemistry?
- Free Electrical & Electronics Engineering eBooks
- How Fast Does Electricity Flow?
- Rapid Share Free Download Fiber Optics eBooks
- Rapid Share Free Download Electical eBooks
- Rapid Share Free Download Digital Electronics eBoo...
- Rapid Share Free Download Miscellanes of Electroni...
- Free Download eBook Electrical & Electronics
- Tutorial - How Lightning Works?
- Free Download eBook, Guide for Robotics
- Rapid Share Free download Electronics eBook for se...
- Free Download for electric machinery
- Free Download on Electrical Wiring and Cabling
- Tutorial - What is Enegy?
- Free Download Electronics & Electrical
- Free Hand Book For Electrical Engineer
- Free download electrical power substations, eBook....
- Free download Electrical dictionary, handbook, pow...
- Free Download Electronics Handbook
- Free Download - Electronics I
- Free Download - Electronics II
- Free Download - Electronics III
- Free Download - Electronics IV
- Free Download - Electronics V
- Free Download - Electronics VI
- Free Download - Electronics VII
- Free Download - Electrical I
- Free Download - Electrical II
- Free Download - Free tutorials - Electricity and e...
- Free Download - Free tutorial - electricity and el...
- Free Download - electronics, digital, wireless, mo...
- Free Download - electronics wi-fi bluetooth
- Free Downlload - Electronics magazine, installer, ...
- Free Download - Electronics, ultrasonic, handbook,...
- Free Download - Electronics, internet, design,
- Free Download - Electronics, digital, tesla coil,t...
- Free Download - Electronics, satellite, antenna, r...
- Free Download - Electronics,nanoelectronics, semic...
- Electronics Books collection 50 Books Part one
- Electronics Books collection 50 Books Part two
- Electronics Books collection 50 Books Part three
- Electronics Books collection 50 Books part Four
- Free Download - Electrical Electronics, signal,des...
- Free Download - digital, electrodynamics, antenna,...
- Free Download - theory, fiber optics, microwave, e...
- Free Download - robotics, antenna, microcontroller...
- Free Download - handbook, code check, training gui...
- Free Download - manual, electrical books, control ...
- Free Download - PCB, controller, digital, semicond...
- Free Download - magazine, converter, electronics
- Free Download - electrical and electronics, contro...
- Free Download - electronics wireless, Lan fundamen...
- Free Download - Electrical and electronics power c...
- Free Download - polymer, magneto science, crystall...
- Free Download and Tutorial - electronics circuits ...
- Free tutorial and electronics project
- ▼ September (751)